When you hear wonton what do you think? Most would think of a Chinese take out classic: wonton soup. However, now I immediately think of savory wonton cupcakes, my new favorite way to cook just about everything. With football season back, I have a constant craving for buffalo sauce, ok I want deep fried, extra crispy, extra saucy buffalo wings, but that’s not exactly on the healthy food pyramid. So, I searched the web looking for a way to ‘healthify’ buffalo wings. That’s when I started thinking why not turn them into a wonton cupcake? I’ve done it with lasagna and chicken fajitas, I bet I could do it for buffalo wings too. I sifted through a ton of different recipes until I finally settled on this one from Joyful Healthy Eat. Like any recipe, I changed it to make it my own, but I used the measurements and cook time as my base.
I have made this with chicken breast, ground chicken and even ground turkey. For pure convenience, I found using the ground meat is the fastest and easiest because I don’t have to get my hands covered in chicken juice or do any cutting, and I personally liked the ground chicken better than the ground turkey. Notice I didn’t say ground chicken/turkey breast, because that’s not what I used. I am sure you could do that, but I fear the leftovers would get too dried out. If you use regular chicken breast, you will want to cut your chicken into super small pieces, or boil or instant pot it and then shred it into small pieces. If I go the chicken breast way, I prefer to cut it up and cook it on the stove top, and no matter what form of meat I use, I seasoned 1.5lbs of it with salt, pepper and garlic powder and cook it up until completely cooked through. Before cooking the meat, you will want to pre-head the oven to 425 degrees. Then in a separate bowl I added 4oz softened cream cheese (the hot meat will help melt it all the way), 1/3 cup blue cheese dressing, 1 cup franks hot sauce and about 2 TBS of blue cheese crumbles. The blue cheese was the biggest change I made from the original recipe, because that one called for ranch and I don’t like ranch, but I love blue cheese. Once the meat is cooked, add it to the bowl, and mix everything up until the cream cheese is fully melted and everything is well combined. Next you will want to spray your muffin tins with cooking spray, and place one wonton wrapper in each cup I find that this comfortably fills 18 muffin cups, so one complete 12 cup muffin tin and than half of another one. After you place the wonton wrappers into each cup, place a heaping spoonful into each one. Then place in the oven for 22-25 minutes, or until the wrappers are golden brown. When you take them out of the oven, you will want to let them sit about 5 minutes to cool, it makes it much easier to get them out of the muffin tin. Top with green onions, chives, or more blue cheese if you would like, and enjoy!
I usually eat two or three per serving along with a side salad or roasted sweet potatoes, but you can have it with any side you would like or simply eat them on their own. These make fantastic leftovers, and I actually like them cold the next day, but you can certainly heat them up in the microwave or oven. Amy makes these for her family about once a week now, and even her pickiest eater likes them. You can change this recipe a million different ways too, which is what I love so much about wonton cupcakes. Amy made this with BBQ chicken for her boys who don’t like things spicy, and I think I am going to try something like that too, maybe even a buffaque (buffalo and bbq mix), that’s a favorite flavor combo in my house.
What’s your favorite game day food, and if you are a buffalo sauce fanatic like me, what’s your favorite way to eat it?
- 1.5 lbs ground chicken
- 1 TBS garlic powder
- 4oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup hot sauce (I used Frank's)
- 1/3 cup blue cheese dressing
- 2 TBS blue cheese crumbles
- 18 wonton wrappers
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat over to 425 degrees
- Grease 1 full muffin tin and half a second muffin tin with cooking spray, set aside
- Season ground chicken with garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste
- Cook ground chicken, breaking up with a wooden spoon, about 10 minutes, or until cooked through
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese, hot sauce, blue cheese dressing and blue cheese crumbles
- Add cooked chicken, and stir until combined, and cream cheese has fully melted
- Place 1 wonton wrapper in each greased muffin cup
- Place 1 heaping spoonful of chicken and hot sauce mixture into each muffin tin, until all is used up
- Cook in the oven for 18-25 minutes, or until the wonton wrappers are slightly browned
- Let cool for 5 minutes, and enjoy!
- You can use ground turkey instead of ground chicken, or used pre-cooked chicken breast to cut down on the cooking time.
- You could substitute ranch dressing for blue cheese.
- Nutritional Info is for 1 wonton cupcake.